Monday, March 5, 2007

Acrylic Furniture

For some reason I've been drawn to acrylic furniture lately. They are just so light and ethereal. I like the way they often have such strong contrast between the material and the form. Here are some of my favourites.

Picture from Stockhome Picture from Finnish Design Shop


Picture from Domino

Picture from Aaron R. Thomas

Above left: A small table,"Illusionbord", from a shop called Stockhome. I have no idea who has designed it. There is no information on the website.
(Edit: So the table is actually called Illusion and its from Danish company Essey. It's designed by John Bauer. This wasn't so difficult, I just took away "bord" (=table in swedish) and googled... I feel a little embarassed that it took me this long.)

Above right: The Modern Art lamp that was designed by Yki Nummi in 1955.

Middle: Of course, the Victoria Ghost chair by Philippe Starck.

Below: Lounge chair Dinette from Aaron R. Thomas.

6 comments:

Shell said...

Hi Laura,

I love these! A couple of them ring bells for me. Interior designer Nate Berkus who is quite often on Oprah used a similar lamp for a home and filled the base with sand and some photo's etc that helped to remind the woman who owned the home, of her late husband. It was beautiful.

Also - I like to go to open house inspections just to check them out (I have no intention of spending millions to buy the homes!) and saw a beautiful waterfront home where the owner had an acrylic writing desk and chair placed in front of the floor to ceiling windows in her bedroom. You could see the view through the furniture - a great idea!

Mix
x/o

Laura said...

Hi mim,
Nice to hear that you like them.
The lamp is my favourite. I think it was one of the first pieces that made Finnish design known around the world. They even have one of those in the Museum of Modern Art in New York.

Anonymous said...

Genomskinligt gör att det ser så lätt och luftigt ut. Och ljusare! Lampan var ju skitsnygg har inte sett den förut.

artDESIGN said...

thanks for noticing our work!

www.aaronrthomas.com

Maryam in Marrakesh said...

I have been totally drawn to acrylic furniture too! Just worried about the scratches. What do you think?

artDESIGN said...

Acrylic is tougher than you think and most scratches can be buffed out of the surface. We also offer a scratch resistant surface.

http://aaronrthomas.blogspot.com/