Tuesday, March 13, 2007

Japanese Gardens

I really adore Japanese gardens. I like the way water, gravel and stones are used and how everything is in balance. There is also a strange quietness in them, it feels like time standing still.

As far as I know there are not that many Japanese gardens in Finland, or in Sweden for that matter. So mostly I must content myself with pictures. I have a couple of book on on the subject but I left them in Finland. I used to spend hours leafing through them...
Pictures from Domino



I took these pictures in the city of Kamakura in September 2005. It was such an amazing piece of old Japan and only about 50km from Tokyo. I wonder what is that pink plant protruding from the gravel.

2 comments:

Shell said...

You are so lucky to have been to Japan. It's on my wish list of places to visit.

You're right about the serene quality of the gardens where time stands still. What a luxury it would be to have one at home where you could go to be at peace.

Beautiful images!

Laura said...

Thanks! I spent a week in Tokyo less than two years ago. It was a really great trip, there is unending amount of incredible things to see out there. The blisters on my feet were the worst I have ever had in my life!

I would love to take a longer trip someday in the future. To see some other cities and little bit of the countryside...