Thursday, February 15, 2007

Dreaming of a bedroom...

For the first time in my life my I have my bedroom, livingroom, kitchen, diningroom, library and homeoffice in the same room. I calculated that the bed takes about 30% of the floorspace of the room. When we first moved in I couldn't believe that there simply wasn't enough space in the whole "apartment" to spread my yoga mat. Don't get me wrong, I can appreciate the compactness. I think it is great that if I should stumble anywhere in my home (except shower I quess) I would always land softly on the bed.

Still, I'm begining to dream of a time in future when I will probably have an actual bedroom. Here are two pictures of bedrooms that are currently my favourites. First one is from Dana's Sunny Logan Square Apartment. I found it among AT Chicago's home tours a few weeks ago. Of course I'm only kidding my self thinking that my next apartment would have big windows and wooden floors. But I love the colours and the peacful atmosphere. I had never thought that you could have a couch in a bedroom but it's actually quite a nice idea. Bedrooms in Finland tend to be small so I probably have to forget about it.

The second room is Carrie's bedroom from Sex and the City. I found the picture from HBO's Sex and the City interiors -page. I love the color of the paint in this room as well. (Walls of my next aparment will ofcourse be bitterly white.) I like mixing different styles of furniture and textiles and I'm not one of those people who believe that all wooden things in one home has to be the exactly the same colour.

My biggest obsession right now is to find the perfect chandelier for my future bedroom. I can't say when it started or why it seems so essential for me. I've been manically surfing the web pages of finnish antique shops and mailing the owners about the sizes and prices and such. It's funny how it's impossible to tell the size from a photo and then they turn out to be one and a half meter high. Then I have to write them back and explain how I'm looking for something slightly smaller...

No comments: