Tuesday, July 24, 2007

Cushion project

For about a month now we have had cushions that I made out of Marimekko fabric Elsa. I fell in love with it when visiting a Marimekko store and since it was on sale, I just couldn't resist. How ever, I haven't been able to get over how christmasy the bright red, gold and silvery gray feel to me. (You can see the fabric on a cushion lying on the chair in the picture.)

So, when I was visiting a drapery in Helsinki one day and saw a nice light blue Laura Ashley fabric (also on sale) I thought it was time to do something about the cushion situation. When I got home I started to think that the fabric might be too romantic for my taste after all, as most of the stuff from Laura Ashley usually is. How ever, I had some pink left over fabric that I could mix in. I thought that then the cushions would look more exotic than country side. I don't really know why I thought that.

The end result, I feel, looks more Slavic than anything else. Still I think they look quite nice and are going to go well with the pink and blue quilted bedspread that I'm working on. They certainly go well with my Russian matushka dolls, don't you think?


The chair in the picture, which I'm using as a night stand for the time being, is one of my dearest pieces of furniture. It was made by my great great grandfather for his daughter (my mothers grandmother, that is). The lamp foot is from a charity shop near by while the shade is of my own doing. I used Japanese news paper, clear laquer and some glass beads.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I was just gonna say that it looks like a scarf that my mother bought in Russia, and that I have borrowed (stolen) from her. The cushions are just lovely!

Anonymous said...

Really pretty design I have just made some new garden cushions and it took quite a while to find a deasign and pattern that I liked.

Anonymous said...

I like the stuff here and good information that you have provided.
I will probably recommend this to my friends and I shall add your reference to my collected works.
Let me share one of the greatest in my collection about contemporary furniture.

Blue Cross California said...

Pretty things that could save space on my living room just like that furniture you have.